Friday, January 30, 2009

Man vs Woman

As I begin to read Antigones by Steiner I’ve noticed a large focus, at least in the beginning on the duality of men and woman, and seeing that a large portion of conflict resides in men and women his attention is well understood. Then just the other day, as if planned by the gods themselves, I had one of the more perfect arguments with a male a friend of mine that not only made me laugh but proved exactly what Steiner was saying about men and woman having different vocabulary. I shall attempt to reenact the situation to the best of my ability, however I doubt that any script could do the argument justice.
The subject was nature. A friend of ours is taking an Environmental History class this semester and was telling us about it early that day. One discussion that had come up was whether or not humans are or should be included in the definition of “nature”. I was attempting to argue that “nature” is all that surrounds humans and their activities, but does not include humans or society because we have a reached a point in evolution where we are contributing more to the unnatural world than we are the natural world, and therefore we should not continue to consider ourselves part of "nature". My friend responded with the debate that humans are as much animals as gorillas are and without humans to perceive nature it wouldn't exist. He continued to actually utter these words, “If I can’t see it, it doesn’t happen”. (Egocentric (adj) – Holding the view that the ego is the center, object, and norm of all experience).
Now, this male friend of mine is actually one of the smartest people I know, but in the heat of this discussion I think a little primitive aggression got the best of him and he forgot that he wasn’t the center of the world. I am not trying to make any generalizations here, but in this case the male ego prevailed, and it was pretty damn funny.

1 comment: