Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Plato and Lewis

While reading Plato’s Symposium I was closely reminded of C. S. Lewis’s book, The Four Loves. I read The Four Loves quite awhile ago; however I do remember that he based a lot of his theories on the four Greek words for love, affection, friendship, eros, and charity. Based on a much more Christian view of love Lewis does make the same analogy to love as a Diotima that love is like a spirit that meditates between people. They both make the observation that the product of love is pregnancy and reproduction. But not necessarily the reproduction of children, it could be the reproduction of thoughts and ideas, that people in love generate between each other. I think that this is a really good interpretation of love because the majority of people I’m in love with have helped me construct many of the theories and beliefs that I have.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is the best way i could think of to contact you guys. I'm in your group but i wont be in class on friday, as i was in an accident today. so if you guys could possibly call me and fill me in or so we can meet for coffee or somethin to discuss, that would be cool. Here is my number: 4067814824. thanks, crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. . .I'm going around asking everybody if they want to meet this Sunday afternoon to talk about our project. Go through some ideas and outline what we'd like to do and decide who would like to do what- I'd prefer to get some of this stuff going now but I can wait until after Spring Break if people would rather. So, yeah. . what do you think? my email is bizzybumblebee@hotmail.com and my number is 208-520-8073

    ReplyDelete