Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I've been going over the stories in Tales from Ovid a lot in my head lately, and often I find myself laughing at how silly some of the stories seem. Like Actaeon made me laugh because from the way the Roman art depicts all these gods and demigods, they were pretty much naked all the time anyway, and this poor guy comes along and just happens to stumble upon a really gorgeous naked god, totally not his fault, but he got turned into a stag anyway. Seems a little rash of Diana in my opinion. Then again, I don't know how much rationality goes into what these gods are doing.

They are all pretty funny in their own regard but another one that was particularly funny was Arethusa, who turned into a fountain on the island of Sicily. Once again, just minding her own business she decided to take a bath in the wrong river and who would have thunk it, but the river was Alpheus who by this time was madly in love. I mean talk about an analogy she was bathing in someone, Alpheus was probably in heaven. It's no wonder he fell in love with her. But now this poor little nymph scared shitless starts sweating, and just can't stop till she is nothing but water. Now, every time I go to the gym I'm going to think of Arethusa turning into water because she starting sweating too much. I can just imagine myself just busting into water all over the floor and splashing all the people around me, hahaha. Now that would make a scene.

Oh, and I wanted to make a side comment about my An Imaginary Life essay. Ya...I haven't gotten the book in the mail yet. I ordered it two weeks ago and it still hasn't come. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in Amazon right now. But Dr. Sexton, I have not forgotten and will post it as soooooon as I get the book. My apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment